It’s the second day of May and in two weeks it will be Mother’s Day. Wikipedia tells us that Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908 by Anna Jarvis who wanted to honor her mother (a peace activist) by continuing the work she started and to set aside a day to honor all mothers because she believed that they were “the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world”. The U.S. congress rejected the proposal but Anna Jarvis persevered and it came to be in 1911. Other countries; such as Canada have adopted the same date but other countries have their own days.
As you know my mom; Eleanor Thompson (nee Middlebrough) was my best friend and she loved to help me when she could with details about her side of the family. She died two years ago from complications from Alzheimer’s. and in fact, a portion of the money I make from my affiliate marketing and on-line stores goes to support not only The DNA Angel Project and I also donate to the Alzheimer’s Society.
In honor of Mother’s Day, I thought I’d give you some gift suggestions from our store; Shop the Hound as well some other suggestions. Use the Promo code “Friend” and received a $10.00 discount on any order over $90.
- If your mom is into genealogy then you know that gathering family photos becomes a big part of it. Traveling to visit cousins or going to family reunions are a great time to get those family photos. If Mom’s traveling to a cousin’s home she’ll want to be sure to remind them that she’d like to look at the family photos. This way she will give them time to get them all together in one place. At Shop the Hound we say that; “we have scanners that go places” so be sure to take along the Flip-Pal or Zcan+ (if you have a laptop). When you take the scanner to Auntie’s or Uncle’s you don’t have to count on her scanning those photo for you. You can scan them while you have a coffee and she/he can tell you stories to enhance your family history.
- Maybe your mom needs a new decal for her car so other drivers realize who she is.
- Mom’s need time to relax and we have things that can help her to do that.
- Of course, we have bling and what mom doesn’t like bling
- I’m always encouraging people to do DNA and I especially encourage you to test your mom. You can test with AncestryDNA (US) including Free shipping, AncestryDNA (Canada), 23andMe or Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) . I would suggest you test with Ancestry or 23andMe and then take advantage of the FREE transfer to Family Tree DNA.
- If these ideas don’t interest you then you might want to check out Amazon.com orAmazon.ca Both sites have specialty pages just for Mom.
If you’re a mom, Happy Mother’s Day in advance and if you’re able to celebrate Mother’s Day with your mom give her a huge hug. I’d love to be able to still do that.
Next week: How DNA is like fertilizer